Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Dominican Rice with Red Beans

1 1/2 cups dry red beans or 1 sixteen-oz can of red beans
2 1/2 cups raw rice
8 cups water
1 medium red onion, finely chopped (I have used white or yellow as well)
4 garlic cloves, crushed (I have used equivalent amounts of minced garlic or garlic powder)
1 medium green pepper, finely chopped
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp salt
1/2 Tbsp fresh coriander, finely chopped (I have also used dried coriander)
3 Tbsp olive oil
2 chicken bouillon cubes
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1/2 tsp vinegar

Directions for Moro:
1. Soak the beans overnight in enough water to cover. Drain.
2. Place the beans in a large pot and boil them in 8 cups of water until tender, for about one hour. Add more water if necessary until tenderness is reached. Drain again, set the beans aside and reserve the cooking liquid.
3. Rinse the rice twice in cold water. Drain
4. Saute the onion, garlic, green pepper, oregano, salt, coriander, and the cooked beans (or drained canned beans in the olive oil. Add the chicken bouillon cubes, tomato paste, vinegar, and 1 cup of the beans cooking liquid (use 1 cup of water if canned beans are used, discard the can's liquid). Mix well and cook for three to four minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Add 3 1/2 more cups of the beans cooking liquid, adding water to complete it, if needed. Use 3 1/2 cups of water if canned beans are used.
6. Add the rice and mix well. Cook uncovered over high heat until almost all of the liquid has been absorbed.
7. Reduce the heat as low as possible, cover and simmer for 20 minutes, or until rice is tender.
8. Remove the lid and allow the Moro style rice to dry for 2-3 minutes. Serve hot.

Directions for Arroz con Habicchuelas Rojas:

Moro is a common Dominican dish, but it is also common to serve the beans over rice, rather than cook them together. I prefer this as it is usually less dry. Basically, I follow steps 1-4 except I use 2 cans of beans and double the spices and other ingredients. Cook the rice separately according to package instructions then spoon bean mixture over rice.

Leah Williamson