Sunday, March 1, 2009

French Bread

Combine:
2 Tbsp yeast
1/2 cup warm water
Set Aside

Combine:
6 cups flour
6 Tbsp oil
4 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup hot water
Yeast water mixture

1. Mix all
2. Cover for 10 minutes
3. Punch down
4. Cover for 10 minutes
5. Punch down
6. Cover for 10 minutes
7. Punch down, knead
8. Divide into loaves, butter cookie sheet, place loaves (2 big, 3 smaller) on cookie sheet. Cut little \\\\ across the top of loaves and butter with melted butter.
9. Preheat over to 400 degrees.
10. Let rise 30 minutes (I never let it rise that long, I put it on my oven while it's pre-heating, and then when it's done pre-heating, my bread is about the size I want it).
11. Bake 20 minutes or until golden brown.

**This recipe also makes good soup bowls. Just form them into fist size balls on step #8 and cut an X in the top of the ball, then continue with step 9.

Heidi Pettingill