3 cups rolled oats
1 cup sunflower seeds (unsalted)
1 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup honey or maple syrup
3 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
1 cup almonds (whole or sliced)
1 cup cashews (or any other nut, I usually add more almonds)
2 cup dried fruit of choice (craisins, raisins, apricots, etc.)
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 tsp salt (I like kosher salt)
1/8 tsp cinnamon (optional)
1. In a large bowl, combine the oats, nuts, coconut, brown sugar, and spices. Mix well.
2. Combine the oil, honey, salt, and extract. Mix well.
3. Pour liquid mixture over dry mixture and mix well.
4. Spread evenly onto ungreaesd cookie sheets. (I've found that light-colored pans with a piece of parchment work best.)
5. Oven temps vary so adjust cooking temperature and time as necessary. I usually bake it at 275 for 50 minutes. You may need to bake at 250 for 1 hour+. Stir every 15 minutes, until golden brown. Be sure to watch closely for the last 15 minutes, as it is easy to go from golden brown to burned very quickly!
6. Remove from pans and stir in dried fruit. Enjoy!
7. Store in Ziploc bag for up to 2 weeks.
* Ingredients you may add to change it up: nutmeg, allspice, wheat germ, dried cherries or blueberries, 1 tsp butter extract, coconut oil in place of canola oil, walnuts, pecans, sesame seeds, millet, any dried cereals.
Andrea Davis