Sunday, November 1, 2009

Improving Personal Scripture Study

Lesson by Terri Smith
September 2009 Relief Society Meeting

Lafayette 2nd Ward


-Intro:
Story of bad day, losing temper with 2 year old
Felt guilt, frustrated, hopeless
Read scriptures that night-two scriptures stood out
Pray always-I can’t raise two kids on my own
Repentance through Christ- Sent me to knees to ask for forgiveness

-This is definition to me of meaningful scripture study Helped in hard time:
Caused me to come to Christ and change
Isn’t that what we all want from scripture study?
How do we get it? What keeps us from having meaningful scripture study?
Focus on three areas
Time
Motivation
Methods

-Time:
Want to spend little time discussing-Finding time is directly connected to being motivated
List as many times or way to fit in scripture study
Morning
Evening
Nap time
In car, bus, transportation (by CD)
While nursing
Hang scripture cards on refrigerator
In potty
While eating
In place of watching TV
Lots of times or ways- You determine how to fit into your life-Use creativity

-Motivation:
If motivated to have personal daily scripture study, you’ll find time
Briefly go through blessings of scripture study
Most desirable blessings of gospel are connected to scripture study

Ezra Taft Benson, “The Power of the Word,” Ensign, May 1986, 79:
Often we spend great effort in trying to increase the activity levels in our stakes. We work diligently to raise the percentages of those attending sacrament meetings. We labor to get a higher percentage of our young men on missions. We strive to improve the numbers of those marrying in the temple. All of these are commendable efforts and important to the growth of the kingdom. But when individual members and families immerse themselves in the scriptures regularly and consistently, these other areas of activity will automatically come. Testimonies will increase. Commitment will be strengthened. Families will be fortified. Personal revelation will flow.

In the scriptures the scriptures are symbolized by many things-helps explain blessings:

1. Rod of Iron
When Laman and Lemuel asked, “What meaneth the rod of iron?” Nephi answered, “It was the word of God; and [note this promise] whoso would hearken unto the word of God, and would hold fast unto it, they would never perish; neither could the temptations and the fiery darts of the adversary overpower them unto blindness, to lead them away to destruction.” (1 Ne. 15:23–24; italics added.)
2. In Ephesians- Sword- weapon of offence
“Yea, we see that whosoever will may lay hold upon the word of God, which is quick and powerful, which shall divide asunder all the cunning and the snares and the wiles of the devil.” (Hel. 3:29.) Having daily scripture study is a way to apostasy-proof your life
3. Lamp
“Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path” (Ps. 119:105), and Nephi promises that feasting upon the words of Christ “will tell you all things what ye should do.” (2 Ne. 32:3.)
For me is boils down to this, The scriptures have the answers to the things I need to know
Henry B. Eyring, “Rise to Your Call,” Ensign, Nov 2002, 75

Often the answers will come as you study the scriptures. They contain accounts of what the Lord did in His mortal ministry and the guidance He has given His servants. They have doctrine in them which will apply in every time and every situation. Pondering the scriptures will lead you to ask the right questions in prayer. And just as surely as the heavens were opened to Joseph Smith after he pondered the scriptures in faith, God will answer your prayers and He will lead you by the hand.


Methods:
1. To have meaningful scripture study we must read with the Spirit
The Spirit will teach us all things we need to know
We need to pray before reading to ask for Spirit to understand
Whenever possible study in environment conducive to Spirit

2. I don’t like to usually read study scriptures with commentaries

Dean L. Larsen, “Looking beyond the Mark,” Ensign, Nov 1987, 11

As I have wondered how we might protect ourselves in the present day from “going beyond the mark,” I have resolved to do several things which I share with you for whatever application you may wish to make in your own lives.
I am going to give more time and attention to the study and pondering of the scriptures themselves, rather than to the commentaries and criticisms that others have written about them. In doing this, I am going to be as open as I can be to the Spirit of the Lord so that I can understand these things for myself. Jacob said: “For the Spirit speaketh the truth and lieth not. Wherefore, it speaketh of things as they really are, and of things as they really will be; wherefore, these things are manifested unto us plainly, for the salvation of our souls” (Jacob 4:13).
I am much more concerned about understanding the admonitions of Samuel the Lamanite as he stood on the walls of the city of Zarahemla and called the rebellious Nephites to repentance than I am about identifying the location of that city in today’s geography.
I am more vitally interested in what the Father and the Son commissioned Joseph Smith to do, and the fruits of his prophetic labors, than I am in whether he made mention of one divine personage or two in his initial recounting of the First Vision.
I am going to make a greater effort to be worthy of holding an ordained office in the priesthood of God, and be less concerned about confirming the exact date and place of the appearance of Peter, James, and John to restore this divine authority and power.
I think I am going to try to keep in my mind more consistently the perfect pattern for human relationships that the Savior demonstrated in his own life and try with greater effort to emulate that pattern of caring, love, and sacrifice.
I am going to try to be more earnest in teaching what the Savior would have me teach and be less concerned about having my own biases aired. If I am going to influence others, I want to influence them toward the things that promote faith rather than to unsettle them with speculation and questions that cannot be resolved.
I think I will not want to stifle a wholesome appetite for learning, for reaching out to new levels of understanding. But as I push toward these new horizons, I will want to come back always to the circle of my established faith, and I will continually nourish that faith with a prayerful study of God’s revealed truths.

3. I always read with red marking pencil and ink pen
Synthesize
Look for connections, important points, special meanings for me
Keeps me paying attention to what I’m reading
Write personal revelations in margins
Makes my set of scriptures a tool for teaching and sharing gospel


4.Scripture study becomes more meaningful when studied daily
Need answers to today’s problems
Consistency helps you learn how to find answers in scriptures
Story of member of Seventy who hadn’t missed a day of study in 20 years
I promise (from personal experience) if you commit to never again miss a day of scripture study, it will change your life and change you.

5.Go to scriptures looking for answers
Doctrinal
Personal
How to be a better parent, wife
How do I feel the Spirit
How can I repent and change.
Look for comfort
90% of the personal revelation I receive comes when I’m reading the scriptures


Closing:

Nephi explained reason scriptures were written: 2 Nephi 25:26

26 And we atalk of Christ, we rejoice in Christ, we preach of Christ, we bprophesy of Christ, and we write according to our prophecies, that our cchildren may know to what source they may look for a dremission of their sins.

Additional Quotes:

In a First Presidency message in 1976, President Kimball said:

“I am convinced that each of us, at least some time in our lives, must discover the scriptures for ourselves—and not just discover them once, but rediscover them again and again. …

“The Lord is not trifling with us when he gives us these things, for ‘unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required.’ (Luke 12:48.) Access to these things means responsibility for them. We must study the scriptures according to the Lord’s commandment (see 3 Ne. 23:1–5); and we must let them govern our lives.” (Ensign, Sept. 1976, pp. 4–5.)

“It [is] expedient that [you] should try the virtues of the word of God” (Alma 31:5)